Recipe #11. This one is an oldie but a goodie. This photo was taken in my rookie period, during which I had ZERO experience with photographing food and was just beginning to get my toes wet. So please excuse that this food photo isn’t quite up to par with my other ones. That aside, this dish is simple but really manages to hit the spot.
Its gluten-free and sugar-free. It can be made lactose-free by omitting the cheese (though that would really change the nature of the dish). You could substitute in goat cheese which would probably taste pretty good.
This dish has a simple, homey, comfort feel and taste to it. I stumbled across a similar recipe years ago when I was looking for lighter, healthier meals to make for dinner. I took this one, improvised and altered the recipe a bit, and voila.
Whenever I make decide to throw it together for something quick, healthy and easy, I am reminded once more of how delicious it actually is and am wondering why I don’t make it more often.
Without further ado:
2 cups of rice, prepared according to instructions on package and ready (**plain rice in all forms is naturally gluten free. However if gluten doesn’t concern you, Uncle Ben’s Instant Rice in Spanish Style or Mexican flavor pair awesomely with this dish)
20-25 medium sized shrimp
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup of white onion, chopped
½ cup of piccorino-romano cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
½ of small garlic clove, minced
Red pepper flakes (sprinkle to taste)
- Prepare the rice according to instructions on package.
- Cook the shrimp (with minced garlic clove) in a frying pan on medium heat for about 2 minutes, until no longer translucent. Remove the shrimp from the frying pan and set aside on a plate.
- Cook the chopped onions on medium heat with coconut oil for 3 minutes or so, until translucent. Add tomatoes. After one minute, add the shrimp back into the pan.
- The rice should already be prepared. Add the cooked rice to the frying pan with the shrimp, onion and tomato mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes all together. Add the shredded cheese. Stir to distribute and melt cheese.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top. Stir to mix.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm. Yum!
Serves 2-4 people
You can store leftovers in a Tupperware container in the fridge for up to 4 days or so.