Christmas is coming, which means dessert and sweet overload, am I right? I imagine many of you would welcome a healthier dish to offset the massive caloric bomb the holidays has so aptly deployed to your waistlines. I have just the dish. In fact, it was my breakfast this morning which I inhaled while nearly moaning in pleasure, the combination of flavors so yum.
Recipe #28 is my own New Hampshire country girl riff on Huevos Rancheros. This dish is rustic and homey. It tastes AWESOME. Its insanely easy to make, one can throw this together in less then 15 minutes, no problem. You will be satisfied for hours afterwards. Its filled to the brim with healthy ingredients and is low in calories.
This recipe is of course is gluten-free and sugar-free. The lactose in this dish is quite low, though you can omit it entirely if you like by not using any goat cheese. This recipe is also, essentially, raw.
Cowboy Black Beans, Egg and Veggie Skillet
This recipe is not one that needs precise measuring. It’s more of a make-general-estimates type of dish, a throw it all together type of entrée, if you will. The taste will be awesome regardless.
This recipe serves two people easily (though I ate the entire pan myself…whoops!).
1 can of black beans, drained
Two handfuls of mixed greens (I like a mixture of arugula and spinach)
½ of a red onion, sliced
10-15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Roughly 7-10 pieces of sliced cucumber, halved
A generous sprinkling of goat cheese (to your liking)
Half of an avocado, sliced into bite sized pieces in whatever shape strikes your fancy
A side of bread if you like (omit this for a gluten-free meal)
2 fried eggs (you will do this part at the very end)
- Drain the black beans and cook on medium heat in a skillet mixed together with the chopped onions for about 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice up the cherry tomatoes, cucumber and avocado while the beans are cooking.
- Using two separate bowls, place a large handful of greens into each. This is the bowl you will be using to serve up your finished product.
- Portion half of the cooked black beans and onion mixture into one bowl on top of the greens, and half into the other.
- Dump half of the halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber and avocado pieces into one bowl and half into…you get the idea.
- Meanwhile, crack two eggs into the now empty skillet. Cook them on medium/low heat for a few minutes keeping a careful eye on them. Cook until the white around the yolk is mostly solid, no longer translucent.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top of the nearly-finished bowls of bean and veggie mixtures. Place a finished fried egg on top of each one.
- Dust the top of each finished bowl with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and chia seeds.
This dish, while super simple, delivers big in taste and satisfaction. It is REALLY delish. But do not take my word for it. Try it out. You wont regret it. My healthy and delectable Christmas gift to you.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, but I cannot imagine you will have any. This recipe will be inhaled. It’s also best enjoyed fresh off the skillet.