Happy Sunday evening, all! For recipe #48, I decided on something light, sweet and, shocker, healthy. I know, I know. Typically the words “sweet” and “healthy” tend to hold opposite ends of the court. Not in this dish though. This can be enjoyed as a snack when in need of refueling, or a delicious breakfast. Tastes subtly nutty, sweet and cinnamon-y, with the crisp crunch of apples. So yum.
Exact measurements are not required here. More like loose guidelines. Again, I recommend making 2 or 3x the amount of quinoa you need for this dish and then storing it in an airtight container to be used over the next few days.
1 or 1.5 cup of quinoa, cooked (follow instructions on the package).
1 apple (I like Gala apples)
3-4 tablespoons of coconut milk (the kind you drink, not the one in a can) or regular milk if you prefer. Either one work just as well.
Honey, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste
- Prepare the quinoa according to instructions on packaging.
- Meanwhile, slice up an apple into bite sized pieces. I personally do not peel mine as that’s where most of the nutrients and vitamins lie, in the skin. However you can of course peel yours beforehand if you prefer.
- Spoon the cooked quinoa into a cereal bowl. Add in the chopped apples.
- Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of honey.
- Stir well to distribute natural sweeteners. Taste. If sweet enough, enjoy! Or if you prefer, add additional cinnamon and/or honey.
This recipe is enough to serve one person a hearty snack or breakfast.