Happy Sunday, Everyone! I don’t know about you guys, but I personally could eat Mexican food every day if the opportunity presented itself. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, nachos, the list goes on. Finding myself in a Mexican cuisine kind of mood, I decided on enchiladas for today.
1 package of tortillas (you can of course use gluten-free tortillas if you wish)
1 can of enchilada sauce (though if you cannot find this, just use some salsa)
1 sweet potato, cooked (to do this, puncture holes with a fork all over the potato surface. Then cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Check for doneness by pressing a fork into the surface of the potato. When it sinks in with ease, the potato is done. If not, cook for another 3-4 minutes).
Goat cheese (* this is low in lactose)
1/2 cup of red onion
1/2 cup of chopped mango
1 can of either refried beans or black beans, drained and rinsed.
- If you choose black beans, cook these along with the onions in a skillet on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. However if you go with refried beans, no need for any prior cooking.
- On each tortilla, smear a small spoonful of goat cheese along its length, then heap a few spoonful’s of beans in a line through the middle of the tortilla.
- Scoop a few spoonful of the cooked sweet potato on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle some of the red onion on top of the sweet potato (HOWEVER, if black beans, the onions are already mixed in with them during prior cooking)
- And finally, scatter a few pieces of mango along the length of bean mixture.
- Roll the tortilla up, tucking in the ends somewhere midway through the rolling. Unfortunately this is not something I can type out and instruct through written text. You will need to figure it out via trial and error by doing 😉
- Put the rolled, filled enchiladas in a baking dish, tucked close alongside one another.
- Once all the enchiladas are lined up in the pan, top with either salsa or enchilada sauce. Optional: you can top with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F/175 degrees C for 25-30 minutes. Important: cover with aluminum foil during baking. Spray the underside of foil sheet with a light sheen of non stick cooking spray.
- Enjoy! I recommend avocado alongside this entrée. YUM!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheating the microwave for 1-2 minutes prior to eating the leftovers.