Happy Hump Day! Get excited! This recipe is sweet, delicious and ultra healthy. Its Paleo compliant, grain free, dairy free and sugar free. Whip up a batch and you’ll have a healthy, tasty treat for tea/coffee time every day this week. Awesome stuff, eh?
1 cup shredded zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini)
1 large ripe banana
6 large eggs, at room temperature
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I like to use Grade B, which has a more intense flavor)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 or 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into chunks, or dark chocolate chips (to keep completely Paleo, use a dairy-free chocolate such as Enjoy Life)
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Place the shredded zucchini between two paper towels and press out as much water as possible. You can also place the zucchini over a sieve and press a paper towel on the top to dry it. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana, then briskly whisk in the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Sprinkle in the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg. Then stir until evenly combined. The batter will be very thick. Note: this bread is on the less sweet side. If you prefer it sweeter, add one or two more spoonful’s of maple syrup.
- Stir in the shredded and dried zucchini, then fold in two-thirds of the chocolate. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and gently smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining third of the chocolate on top. I also sprinkled a bit of coconut sugar and cinnamon on top- entirely optional.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden and firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Then, cut and remove slices from pan with a spatula.
- Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 4 days.