Who doesn’t love that combo? Honey mustard…bacon…chicken…mmmm. Sounds like a Cobb salad to me. Always a tasty treat to be sure. Something about this melding of flavors is so savory, mouthwatering, homey, and just delicious. Much like the pairing of chocolate and peanut butter, a match made in heaven.
This recipe is light in calories, but packs a homey, comfort food, satisfying punch. Its gluten free, and without refined sugar.
1/3 cup of honey
3 heaping tablespoons of whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
5-6 strips of bacon, cooked
2/3 cup of sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/3 cup of cream
- Combine the honey, mustard, garlic, and oil. Stir ingredients together. Then coat the chicken in sauce. Set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, fry up the bacon in a skillet until done. Remove bacon from pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan you used to make the bacon (feel free to pour out some of the extra grease if you wish), cook the chicken breasts over medium heat. Using the same pan will infuse the chicken with some majorly succulent flavor from the bacon having cooked within. Total cook time for the chicken will be roughly 7-10 minutes. Make sure to routinely turn each chicken breast. Let cook on one side for 2-3 minutes, then turn again. And so on.
- About 5-6 minutes into the chicken cooking, pour cream into to the skillet. Crumble the bacon into the skillet as well. Also add the mushrooms in at this time. Then stir in 1-2 tablespoons of additional whole grain mustard, right into the skillet mixture of cream and chicken, as well as 1-2 tablespoons of honey. Stir well to combine it all.
- Continue cooking until chicken is finished. I determined this by slicing into the middle of a chicken breast and making sure there was no translucence or pink in the middle. Should be white, solid looking, cooked through. And the chicken surface may appear light to golden brown when done.
Eat this warm, with sides of veggies. You can also enjoy this dish with pasta or rice on the side. Whatever you feel like!
Serves 4-5 people.
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and will store well for up to 3 days. Reheat prior to eating.