Who doesnt love a decadent, smooth, rich chocolate truffle?? The perfect serving size, portable, and the timeless taste of this sweet treat, making for a dream worthy dessert. The best parts? Obviously gluten/grain free (thats a duh on that one), and with no extra refined sugar added (though, there is sugar in the chocolate bars already of course).
And the combination of chocolate and olive oil? A longstanding one, with a lengthily line of devotees. Get ready to hop on in line after sampling these creamy, oh so dreamy, super easy to make treats. And these Chocolate + Olive Oil truffles in particular? Bakery quality good. Dont take my word for it though, try them yourself. Better yet, serve them to crowd and watch them be wowed.
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons of local honey
8 ounces of dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (I went with bittersweet chocolate at 60% cocoa)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Optional: chocolate jimmies
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and honey. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Place broken up chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate. Let sit for 30 seconds.
- Then whisk the chocolate and cream using a fork, this will take a few minutes, until all cream is incorporated with the chocolate. Mixture will be smooth and uniform in color.
- Whisk the olive oil into the chocolate.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Using a teaspoon, scoop small mounds of chocolate onto the baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and roll mounds of chocolate between the palms of your hands to form smooth balls. Roll in chocolate jimmies if you like now. Do this quickly though as the chocolate truffles being in your hand will begin to melt quickly.
- Return truffles to baking sheet and put back in fridge. Refrigerate until ready to serve (at least another 30 minutes, though you can do so for several hours, or even overnight).
These truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The recipe makes about 12 truffles.