Hello Friendly Foodies,
Though I realize the words “comfort food” and summer do not tend to go hand in hand, skipping down the street with one another (winter being more synonymous and close companions with all things comfort foody), for this dish, I guarantee you will gladly make an exception 😉
This dish can be a breakfast, snack, or dessert. Its dairy free, with no refined sugar, yet filling, sweet, deliciously lovely.
1 cup of short grain rice
1 cup of coconut milk, cashew milk, or almond milk
3-4 tablespoons of maple syrup
1.5 tablespoon of vanilla extract, or vanilla bean
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of lavender buds (optional)
- Cook the rice following package instructions.
- When the rice has nearly finished cooking (meaning, with a small amount of liquid left unabsorbed), add in the non dairy milk and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add in maple syrup, vanilla, spices, and lavender, stirring occasionally.
- Cook 3-4 more minutes, then remove rice from heat.
- Stir in a little more non dairy milk if needed, if the rice doesnt seem puddling-like enough.
- Serve it up warm and topped with something you love, such as fruit, crushed pistachios, a drizzle of maple syrup, you name it.
This recipe serves about 2 people. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.