This umami inducing, oh-so-scrumptious and satisfying, totally-hits-the-spot entree is one on which you will soon be hooked. It’s also incredibly healthy, made with a base of quinoa (gluten/grain-free, as this is actually a seed), scallions, red cabbage, marinated tempeh, and then though not pictured, I recommend it topped with a fried egg. SO good, a cinch to make, and with flavors that pack a punch.
–Quinoa (prepared according to instructions on package) (recommend one cup for 1 person, or 2 cups for two)
–Handful of chopped scallions
–Handful of chopped red cabbage
–Tempeh, marinated and cooked. (For the marinating, you will need: 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons vinegar, sprinklings of garlic powder and onion powder, 1 teaspoon of white sesame seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup). Mix together all of these ingredients, cut the tempeh into bite size pieces, and marinate in mixture for about an hour. Then cook in the oven on a baking tray covered in foil at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
–Fried egg(s) (you will do this at the end)
–Feel free to add any vegetables which might strike your fancy!
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on package.
- Meanwhile, pop the tempeh in the oven for baking (assuming it has already marinated for an hour).
- As those two items are cooking, chop up the scallions and red cabbage, as well as any other vegetables you might like to add.
- Once quinoa and tempeh are finished, add about one cup of quinoa to a bowl. Top with scallions, red cabbage, and several pieces of tempeh. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce and stir everything together.
- Last step: fry an egg real quick on medium heat in a frying pan. I recommend 2 eggs per person. Top the finished quinoa bowl with fried eggs.
- And, viola! Ready to dig in 🙂