Happy healthy eating, with the upcoming warm weather, as well as in celebration of health in general, regardless of temperature or time of year! This one is homey, cheesy, delicious, and yet, it’s without any grains or gluten. It’s to-die-for-delicious though. Skeptical? Try it yourself. We make this one almost every week, it’s that good. It may just become a staple in your home too!
3-4 zucchinis, sliced with a mandolin
2 jars of tomato sauce (any flavor)
Roughly 1/2 cup of chopped white onions
Asiago cheese (about 2 cups), grated
Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Lay the sliced zucchini out on a cookie sheet (in a single layer), lightly sprinkled with salt. Bake in the oven for 350 degrees F for roughly 15-20 minutes. This will help draw out the moisture.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey in a skillet on the oven (over medium heat). Once turkey is browned, stir in the chopped onions and pour in the two jars of tomato sauce. Allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes ish.
- When zucchini and tomato sauce/turkey mixture are both finished cooking, remove zucchini from oven and take turkey/tomato sauce off heat.
- In a glass casserole dish, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom, then add a layering of zucchini. Now, cover in a slathering of the tomato sauce/turkey. Then, sprinkle on about one cup of the Asiago cheese. And finally, scatter about some small hunks of fresh mozzarella all over. Repeat this layering over again (zucchini strips, tomato sauce/turkey, Asiago, and then fresh mozzarella).
- Bake in the oven, uncovered, on 400 degrees F for roughly 45 minutes.
This can easily serve four, with extra left over. Keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for one or two days. Reheat prior to enjoying.