This recipe (#46) is one of my favorites. I stumbled across it by mistake when making a mixed pasta dish one evening and realizing I had some leftover salmon. Salmon and pesto being two of my favorite foods…plus this particular mixture of ingredients in the pasta sounds pretty mouthwatering in combination with those two things. A light bulb went off overhead. This dish was the result. And MAN, is it good! Super easy to make, hearty, delicious, as well as healthy. This is the perfect winter dish.
This recipe can be gluten-free if you like (just use pasta without gluten). Otherwise though, the recipe is lactose-free and of course, sugar-free.
Yum, yum! Happy eating.
Salmon Pesto Pasta
*This recipe is not one that needs to be followed to a T. More like guidelines. This dish would be a hard one to mess up…so have fun with it.
1 filet of salmon, already cooked
2 cups of pasta, cooked (follow instructions on packaging) and drained
1 cup of greens (I recommend spinach or arugula)
Sun dried tomatoes, halved (I use maybe 6-8)
1/3 cup of red onion, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- As the pasta and salmon are cooking (to cook the salmon, I throw it on a baking sheet, coat the filet with a couple small spoonful’s of olive oil and bake in the oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes), begin to cook the mushrooms in a large frying pan with a bit of butter on medium heat.
- Stir the mushrooms regularly. They will take roughly 5-7 minutes to cook. You will notice them starting to near being finished when they have taken on a brown sheen to their surface. They will appear to have developed a rubbery texture, and they will have shrunken in size. When the mushrooms reach this point, add the red onion and the sun dried tomatoes to the skillet as well.
- Cook the mushrooms, tomatoes and onion together, stirring sporadically, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the greens.
- By this point, both the salmon and pasta should be finished cooking.
- Pour the already drained pasta into the frying pan with all the other ingredients, stirring well to evenly distribute everything.
- Remove the salmon from the oven. Allow to cool for a minute or so. Then using a fork, scoop off chunks of the salmon and put them into the pasta/vegetable mixture in the frying pan.
- Mix all of this together. Spoon in some pesto sauce (as much as you like, depending on your taste. I use a lot J).
- After 1-2 minutes of final cooking with ALL ingredients together, remove from heat.
This recipe makes enough for 2-3 people, depending on how hungry you are.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. I recommend reheating in the microwave for 1 minute before enjoying the leftovers, but to each his own.